Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: In Wake Of Garcia-Haney, A 10-Pack Of Thoughts On The 10-Stone Division

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: In Wake Of Garcia-Haney, A 10-Pack Of Thoughts On The 10-Stone Division

The junior welterweight division doesn't get a whole lot of respect. For superstar-level fighters, it tends to be just a way station between lightweight and welterweight. Floyd Mayweather popped in for three fights. Manny Pacquiao had one fight at junior welter, snagged the lineal title, and was gone. Shane Mosley skipped over the division entirely. But at this moment, after what happened on Saturday night between Ryan Garcia and Devin Haney, junior welter just may be the most fascinating division in boxing. Will any of the fighters making it so fascinating stick around long? Nobody knows. But for now, 140 pounds offers an absurd number of angles to explore.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Ryan is out of the picture @ 140! He says he can't make 140, and he's done trying! Really can't write an article on this division without going in on Subriel Matias! He's definitely the boogeyman of this division! Lastly, please God, get Gary Antuanne Russell back in the ring! Pretty please???

Comment

Ryan cheated on the Scale. Can't really give him credit.

Same as Tank Drained Ryan and rehydration clause
      Canelo gave Kovalev a rehydration clase
      Mayweather not making weight vs Marquez
      No credit there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
        Ryan is out of the picture @ 140! He says he can't make 140, and he's done trying! Really can't write an article on this division without going in on Subriel Matias! He's definitely the boogeyman of this division! Lastly, please God, get Gary Antuanne Russell back in the ring! Pretty please???
        Ryan was a welterweight in his last fight, and will be a welterweight in his future fight's. As for Subriel Matias put him in against Teofimo, Gary Antuanne Russell, Gervonta Davis, Issac Cruz, Devin Haney, Regis Prograis, Jose Ramierez, Josh Taylor, or whoever else is at 140. There is a very good chance that he beat's all of them. Just make sure that you pay him what he's worth, there's some rumbling that he's not happy with his pay, and being separated from his family for the extended periods of training. His promoter's have to make sure that their fighter who has the boxing world all a buzz, is being compensated properly.

Comment

People should look up Oliver McCall and lots of other 5150’s that have had success.

Comment

I was in agreement with every prognosticator on earth, I bet on Haney to win.

That said, I had hoped Ryan would shut Bills mouth and now I can’t wait to see Ryan get stopped by any top a top five 147lber. See what I did right there? I separated my emotions from logic and when Ryan fights a top five welterweight it will bring emotions + logic together.

Last edited by factsarenice; 04-23-2024, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingitis View Post
              Ryan cheated on the Scale. Can't really give him credit.

Same as Tank Drained Ryan and rehydration clause
              Canelo gave Kovalev a rehydration clase
              Mayweather not making weight vs Marquez
              No credit there.
              Yup, Ryan gets no credit for that 3 lb catchweight.

And same as these fights

Pac vs Cotto 2 lb catchweight
              Mayweather vs Canelo 2 lb catchweight
              champion4ever champion4ever likes this.

Comment

Garcia's speed, power and self belief make him dangerous to anyone. He ain't fighting Tank again because Tank won't fight him without rehydration clauses and whatever else he has to do.

I assume we will see him fight Haney again, and Haney will fight a stinker and run to try and get the UD. It won't be at 140. Haney has been killing himself making weights for years and it is taking a toll on him. I think he has to move up to 147 and Garcia is already there. As far as Garcia missing weight, the dude paid Haney 1.5 mill as a penalty. And Haney looked good in the ring, he obviously hydrated and there was no size disparity between the two. The whole "did three pounds make Ryan this huge monster puncher" **** is hilarious, as both he and Haney hydrated and came in around 147-150. They were equal in terms of weight and neither were 140.

I mean maybr we should go to day of fight weigh ins and force guys to fight at their actual weight, rather than having so many fighters use techniques to drain themselves of all water in order to make the scale weight? Yet another silly ass part of the sport that will never change. But I know, it is just "part of the game".

Anyway. Garcia isn't fighting at 140 anymore. Move up and take on the WW.

Haney is likely done at the upper levels. He was always mostly hype. At 147 he doesn't have the power to compete with the big hitters. And we all saw his chin Saturday. Yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Boricua181 View Post

Ryan was a welterweight in his last fight, and will be a welterweight in his future fight's. As for Subriel Matias put him in against Teofimo, Gary Antuanne Russell, Gervonta Davis, Issac Cruz, Devin Haney, Regis Prograis, Jose Ramierez, Josh Taylor, or whoever else is at 140. There is a very good chance that he beat's all of them. Just make sure that you pay him what he's worth, there's some rumbling that he's not happy with his pay, and being separated from his family for the extended periods of training. His promoter's have to make sure that their fighter who has the boxing world all a buzz, is being compensated properly.
                  I agree with everyone but Teofimo and Regis. Regis is similar in size, style and power but he's fought much better opposition and Teofimo on a good night puts Matias down multiple times. That said, I'd watch Matias fight anyone because he's a monster warrior but that's just my oppinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Boricua181 View Post

He just signed to Eddie Hearn, so he should be getting what he wants, or why did he sign? Can't wait to see how he looks on June 15th!
                    Boricua181 Boricua181 likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X