No announcement yet.

No Steel Left in Prince Naseem?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Steel Left in Prince Naseem?

Naseem Hamed, who's now a multi millionaire businessman and twenty five pounds plus over the featherwight limit, is apparently planning a return to the career which provided him with the keys to the money box. Talk is that he'll be back in training camp by the Summer and wants to fight again in October.

Naseem who grew up in the steel city of Sheffield in Northern England, packed a lot of southpaw punch into a wiry five foot three inch frame.

He shot to fame with excellent wins against Tom Johnson, Manuel Medina, Kevin Kelly and Cesar Soto. But all the glitz, vaulting over the ropes and show biz ended for Naz in 2001, when Marco Antonio Barrera exposed his range of technical deficiencies at top level, in a brutal one sided boxing lesson in Las Vegas.

Barrera outwitted, outjabbed, outclubbed and outclassed the Prince to take his crown and unbeaten record. Following the fight Marco confided that Naseem's style is choc a block with errors, but his one shot power must always be respected. Marco confided that a punch deflected off his collarbone, landed on his nose and opened a small, but deep cut. He had stuck to instructions by going in, inflicting maximum damage, and then moving back to survey his handiwork without getting involved in a toe to toe brawl, which could have lost him the fight by one unexpected but concluding punch. [details]

Maybe I haven't seen enough of his fights, but the ones I have seen...he always loses...badly.

Comment

Originally posted by Imira
      Maybe I haven't seen enough of his fights, but the ones I have seen...he always loses...badly.
      He only loss one fight and that was to Barrera..

Comment

in repsonse to the article he wont be back.
        in repsonse to a lot of what is written about Naz I didnt like the little **** but he was not as his peak when he fought barerra, he had split with ingle and this was when he was at hs best.
        bY THE TIME HE FOUGHT marco he was more interested in what his hair looked like the ring entrance and how biug his hotel room was.

He lost focus.

No one elses fault I hasten to add, however the post above demonstrates how fight fans remember guys for their last few fights which is a shame, as Naseem was without doubt the stand out featherweight of the 90's. Holding the WBS, WBO and IBF titles at various junctures.

No one else achieved the length of reign nor the dominance during the 90s at that weight. So to judge him one fight when he clearly was not the same guy, is like judging roy jones career on 2004 alone.

You should take soemones career as a whole not on a single fight to judge how good or bad they were.

Comment

I watched the documentary about Hamed in the run up to the Barrera fight. he was more concerned with the colour of the gloves to be used on the night and his hotel suite than getting prepared. I don't know why he left Ingle, but if it was because he believed his own publicity and didn't think Ingle could take him any further then I think it backfired on him somewhat.

Lol

Comment

he left ingle cos of the little bastard brother Raith.

poisonous little ****er he is.

Comment

Wasn't he in an altercation at an airport early in Hamed's career because he felt hamed wasn't being given enopugh respect ro whatever? In other words a talentless ****er riding his brother's coat tails. Reminds me of the Anelka brothers.

Lol

Comment

in a nutshell yes mate, he wanted in on the action.
                and managed to convince naz to turn himself into a "business", dispensing of Ingle over revelations in his book, which was a bit of a ruse really.

Comment

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Imira

He only loss one fight and that was to Barrera..

I think what he mean't to say was that Hamed wins Badly!
                  I mean I have seen a lot of hamed's fights and he was so unorthodox. He was more wrestling than boxing. The only reason he won those fights in my opinion was becasue he would frustrate the hell out his opponents and they would just lose their composure. I know boxing is also a mental sport and I will say that when it came to mentally deating his opponents Hamed was one of the best, next to Ali of course.

Comment

Originally posted by JPW
                    in repsonse to the article he wont be back.
                    in repsonse to a lot of what is written about Naz I didnt like the little **** but he was not as his peak when he fought barerra, he had split with ingle and this was when he was at hs best.
                    bY THE TIME HE FOUGHT marco he was more interested in what his hair looked like the ring entrance and how biug his hotel room was.

He lost focus.

No one elses fault I hasten to add, however the post above demonstrates how fight fans remember guys for their last few fights which is a shame, as Naseem was without doubt the stand out featherweight of the 90's. Holding the WBS, WBO and IBF titles at various junctures.

No one else achieved the length of reign nor the dominance during the 90s at that weight. So to judge him one fight when he clearly was not the same guy, is like judging roy jones career on 2004 alone.

You should take soemones career as a whole not on a single fight to judge how good or bad they were.
                    Nice one bro! I totally agree with you, but I still disliked his fighting style. He won ugly!

Comment

Working...
                    X