This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danny Williams: "First Title, Then Retirement"

Danny Williams is only a few weeks away from the biggest fight of his career when he takes on WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko. Williams recently made some comments in the UK media which have caused quite a bit of controversy. Apparently he told the UK press that after he beats WBC champion Vitali Klitschko, he will retire from Boxing due to religious reasons. Williams is a devout Muslim and said that the sport is causing a conflict with his Muslim beliefs. Williams said that the sport which has made him a household name, goes against what he believes in as a devout Muslim.

Williams told the media that the Koran clearly states that "a man should not use his hands to do harm". Williams believes that everytime he climbs into the ring for a bout, he is commiting a sin against his religion. The Muslim religion never seemed to cause any conflicts for Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson, Hasim Rahman, Chris Eubank, Naseem Hamed, etc.

“I’ll give up boxing for my faith, without a shadow of a doubt. To me, God is the most important thing. Boxing is nothing. I’ve got to do what’s pleasing to God.” said Williams [details]

I guess it's ok for him to use his hands to saw off heads. Anyway after Vitali is through with you won't hear from him again.

Comment

Originally posted by muning
      I guess it's ok for him to use his hands to saw off heads. Anyway after Vitali is through with you won't hear from him again.

you ignorant twat.
      not all muslims are extremist nutters you fool.

give me strength.

Comment

does danny really think he has a chance at beating vitali?
        man tyson must have hit him harder then i thought

Comment

No he is just an Idiot, so what did Alah say about Mohammed Ali fighting.

I hope he does not go on a fast for ramadan just before the KLitscko fight otherwise he will not last a round. (I am not kidding when I say that) he was supposed to fight Corrie Sanders but pulled because he was fasting

He will do well to last longer than that fat tub of fighter. Kirk Johnson

Comment

he does have a decent chandce mate, better proven stamina, faster hands, better on the inside.....however if he lets vitali stand off an pot shot him, its goodnite.

fpr the record i dont think he wil retire either way after this fight,.

Comment

Originally posted by JPW
              he does have a decent chandce mate, better proven stamina, faster hands, better on the inside.....however if he lets vitali stand off an pot shot him, its goodnite.

fpr the record i dont think he wil retire either way after this fight,.
              Of course he has a decent chance....all the heavyweights are more or less equally **** at the minute. I've seen Danny give a few performances which could more than trouble Vitali but I've also seen him stink the place out a few times so who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by rudy
                No he is just an Idiot, so what did Alah say about Mohammed Ali fighting.

I hope he does not go on a fast for ramadan just before the KLitscko fight otherwise he will not last a round. (I am not kidding when I say that) he was supposed to fight Corrie Sanders but pulled because he was fasting

He will do well to last longer than that fat tub of fighter. Kirk Johnson
                Actually Ali was always conflicted about his boxing after joining the Nation of Islam, as were the other member of the Nation. Boxing was a big no-no in their eyes, since to them it was nothing but black men humiliating themselves in front of white men.

Ali was too devoted to the sport to ever leave. If you were cynical you might say that the Nation let him do it because he was their big meal ticket. However, no matter what they said Ali was a boxer through and through and probably would have never stopped, and he was certainly enough of a devoted member of the group in other respects for his fighting to be overlooked.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Reeno
                  Danny Williams is only a few weeks away from the biggest fight of his career when he takes on WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko. Williams recently made some comments in the UK media which have caused quite a bit of controversy. Apparently he told the UK press that after he beats WBC champion Vitali Klitschko, he will retire from Boxing due to religious reasons. Williams is a devout Muslim and said that the sport is causing a conflict with his Muslim beliefs. Williams said that the sport which has made him a household name, goes against what he believes in as a devout Muslim.

Williams told the media that the Koran clearly states that "a man should not use his hands to do harm". Williams believes that everytime he climbs into the ring for a bout, he is commiting a sin against his religion. The Muslim religion never seemed to cause any conflicts for Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson, Hasim Rahman, Chris Eubank, Naseem Hamed, etc.

“I’ll give up boxing for my faith, without a shadow of a doubt. To me, God is the most important thing. Boxing is nothing. I’ve got to do what’s pleasing to God.” said Williams [details]

...Sounds like a ready made excuse when he gets his ass kicked!! Oh well, ya see, I um was conflicted about my faith and my boxing so I couldn't put forth my best effort.

Comment

Originally posted by pbds
                    ...Sounds like a ready made excuse when he gets his ass kicked!! Oh well, ya see, I um was conflicted about my faith and my boxing so I couldn't put forth my best effort.
                    If only Peter McNeely had thought of that .

Comment

Working...
                    X